Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Apostate Abe



Abe's 3 and he's done with church. The other day we're in the car and, per usual, the constant stream of questions has commenced. The following conversation ensues:
Abe: I don't like going to church. It's not fun.
Lilly: (pipes in from the back of the car) I like going to church!!
Abe: (without missing a beat) It's boring...
Quinne: (thinking: what do I say? what do I say? I kind of get where he's coming from but what are some wise words that will somehow inspire him to love church????) Yeah, sometimes it isn't always fun but...
Abe: (interrupting) I like going swimming and getting ice cream. That's what I like to do.
Lilly: Sacrament meeting is boring, but I like primary!!
(This is going downhill fast)
(Lilly and I begin to discuss the benefits of church, i.e. we get to learn about Jesus and see friends and it's what we're supposed to do, etc...)
Abe: I'm tired of listening to all this talking. I don't want to hear about it anymore.
Quinne: (admits defeat)
Then, cause we're a super righteous family attempted family night on monday, much to the chagrin of Abraham. We made it through (thank goodness!) and were relieved we had a week til the next time. Then, the following morning and because we're super duper righteous, we attempted to have a scripture and prayer in the morning before Kelly left for work. Abe threw a fit. He stomped and threw books and fell on his face on the couch complaining about having to read the scriptures. He asked, "Is it going to be as long as last night?" (Family night was 5 minutes long, fyi) "No," I say, "It'll be really quick. It's just one verse!" Again, we struggled through with Abe protesting all the while.
What to do? He's a maniac!!!!
p.s. Accountability report: I totally sucked last week and didn't do anything I was supposed to. Can I get a do over??

3 comments:

Rich and Nickie said...

If you're looking for accountability like I am...go to my 60 day challenge blog and join us. It will be a fun way to stay motivated. I'm always making goals of being more healthy etc. Then I give up the first time someone offers me a brownie...so I'm hoping this is the solution for me. It's betteryouandme.blogspot.com

Angela said...

Good luck with that little Abe! =) Fortunately, I think he's much like many his age.

Amanda said...

how appropriate - you quoted 'a room with a view'!!!
i had to smile when i saw that! i wasn't a bit surprised!

you are fabulous!

-pants