Monday, January 5, 2009

Thoughts and Other Ramblings

I haven't felt inspired to blog lately until I saw a picture of a teenage Kelly wearing a woman's snowsuit ready to hit the slopes. Long story but I cried real tears of joy and cackled with laughter. We don't have one of those relationships where we don't laugh at the other person. In fact, we laugh at each other a lot. It keeps us grounded, ya know? Anyway, Kelly didn't feel threatened I'd put in on my blog because (as he pointed out) he would only be concerned if I actually knew how to scan a picture. He's right and he got the last laugh...for now. But since I'm here, I might as well share a few things.


I got trapped in Claire's at the mall the other day. It was a very bad experience and I felt like crying. I had just popped in pushing my limosine length double stroller because that's the only one Abe will sit in and Lilly sometimes gets "tired legs" syndrome and I wanted to buy some cheap black headbands for a project I'm working on (see goals below). (FYI they didn't have any...cheap ones, that is.) Of course I had to go to the back of the store to see if they had what I was looking for and while I was there for all of two seconds the store filled up to capacity, which is about five people, and plugged up the two escape routes. Panic, nerves, nausea. How did this happen? I waited, patiently at first, while a grandmother and two kids looked at Hannah Montana hair things while I revved up the stroller just an inch or two away. Couldn't they see me? I mean, I'm right there and Abe's starting to freak out! They still don't move and I try to refrain from running them all over screaming, "Get me out of this plastic hell!" I study the other side to see if I could get out that way, but with four or five very large women and children filling up the aisle I figured my best bet was grandma here. Finally I say "excuse me" and they move really slowly to the side all annoyed and I wanted to shout "I have the right of way! Don't you see I'm a mother who's about to lose my mind if I don't get out right. this. second!!!!" Anyway, I escaped but they lost my business for sure.

So, moving on, I've set goals for January. None of this New Year's Resolutions business for me. I like goals that I can accomplish within a reasonable amount of time. But I have put a lot of thought into these and here are a few for the month.

1. Create. My favorite part of Christmas this year were the things I made for my kids like the cape on Abe and tutu on Lilly. I have so many ideas and feel so empowered when I take an idea and follow through with it. President Uchdorf and I are totally on the same page.

2. Spend more quality time with Lilly. She's craving some love from her parents and has taken a particular liking to her dad. In fact, they're on a date right now at Chuck E. Cheese's and as they were walking out she looked up at him with such adoring eyes. She needs some attention since most of the day seems to be spent taming the beast (a.k.a. Abraham).

3. Speaking of the beast, Abe's a real hoot. Today in the car he was upset about something and to calm him down he wanted to hear "Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse. He's a little off center and that's how we like it. But I do want to read to him more and help him to focus his energy on positive play instead of total destruction.


4. I've heard that in your 30's you accept who you are. That's a goal for me even though I'm sure it's hard to believe that I'm already in my 30's. But in the interest of self-acceptance, take a close look at those eyebrows on me. Don't they remind you of this?

5. I want to be a better wife and I think that means buying Kelly presents. (This will be an easy one because it's his birthday this month.) Look at how much he loves receiving gifts. Love and cashmere (for cheap!) all rolled into one.


So this is quite a long post for not really feeling inspired. What's gonna happen when I actually have something to say?

6 comments:

Cyd said...

I have to laugh at your whole post but especially about the part where you can't scan a picture. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Cari Banning said...

Dig the gs on Kelly. Do those come in cashmere?

And is that how he looks at his car, too?

Kiesel Klan said...

Again you are hilarious and by far the most entertaining blog to read. you don't even need pics or bells and whistles.

charrette said...

I'll log on here every single day if I can read "Get me out of this plastic hell!" and imagine you saying that out loud to that Grandma.

Dale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dale said...

Goal # 6: Learn to "scan" photos.

GREAT blog!