Tuesday, June 23, 2009

An Open Letter To The Loud Mouth At The Gym

Dear Big Boned Yeller,

When you asked me today how many weeks I was, I knew what was coming. I shouldn't have said it, but my response was an apologetic, "I'm only 26 weeks" instead of a more positive "I'm 26 weeks, yippee!" Then, you said it. Or rather you yelled it halfway across the rec center gym, "Are you sure you're only having one?" And then came your laugh and then my face turned red and then I wanted to hurt you. Instead I replied, "You shouldn't say that cause you're a mom and you should know." You then proceeded to try to cover your large and ample bottom by saying how good I look and I've got a cute little tummy blah blah blah. I stopped listening and focused on breathing through my murderous thoughts while hiking uphill to nowhere on the treadmill. Damage done. But here's what I want to say: I don't get two things. One, who am I being compared to? Why, just because my stomach really sticks out when I'm pregnant, does that mean I'm big enough to carry twins or I'm too big for how far along I am or I'm gaining too much weight (which I'm not and for that I'm quite proud of myself because O! goodness you should have seen me with the other two). And two, why do I care what you or anybody else thinks? I want more than anything to teach my children, especially my daughter(s), to have self-confidence and to like who they are and be grateful for how they look. How can I teach that when I don't have that ability myself? Ay, there's the rub. But I've heard that's what your 30's are for: self acceptance. I hope so. I'm trying.

So, lady with no internal dialogue, just keep your distance because next time I see you, I may just bowl you over with MY BIG BELLY!!!!

Watch out!

6 comments:

Katrina said...

AMEN!!!! :)

Dale said...

You should write a book (small thin one of course) on "Pregnant Etiquette." YOU are the CUTEST!

XO, Dad

Ashby Family said...

Oh Quinne I miss having you come over! Seriously! (I know you're frustrated but you just made me laugh so hard!) I'm sorry that lady said that, people really should just keep their mouths shut sometimes!

Cari Banning said...

Belly whomp her, sister!

Kiesel Klan said...

oh how I have missed your blogging. You crack me up my dear

Angela said...

You crack me up!
I know I don't see you on a regular basis, but when I have you were definitely not BIG! I'm not sure how people rationalize some of their comments.
A salesguy came to our door the other day and when I opened it he jumped back yelling, "WHOA! you got twins in their?" What a great way to start a sales pitch, huh?