The other night my neighbor popped over and asked if Lilly could accompany her and her daughter on a jaunt around the neighborhood. While Lilly got ready to go, my neighbor invited herself on a tour of my house. Interesting side note, to me anyway, is that particular day I had mused to myself that although there were still several boxes of Christmas things to put away and there was still some junk on the kitchen island, I was happy to think that at least the dishes were done and there weren't a ton of toys to pick up. Then she came over and I became keenly aware of the food left on the counter, the pile of coats needing to be hung up, the princess tent covering the dining room floor and every other undecorated room and misplaced item. I found myself apologizing for the socks and shoes haphazardly strewn across the hall. When her daughter stepped on and crushed some cereal on the kitchen floor my neighbor said, "Oh Captain Crunch." Yep, I said and confessed it had been a few days since I vacuumed. And it was Kix, but whatever. Then she kept saying how my house felt smaller than hers even though we have THE EXACT SAME HOUSE! I felt like she was saying "my house is bigger than yours. na na na na na na" with her thumbs in her ears wiggling her fingers and her tongue sticking out at me. But really, who cares? Then I followed her around while she turned lights off and on and examined each room (except the bathrooms which were actually clean and tidy-it figures!). Then she went upstairs (get ready for a run-on) and saw the book shelf that Abe had thrown all the books out of and then pushed it over and it's still in the same position even though it happened several days ago but why pick it up when he's just going to do it again? Then she made her way to the bedrooms and not. a. bed. was. made. And that, by the way, is kind of normal.
I was horrified and then she left. And then I laughed. And then I called Kelly and told him that our neighbor had come over and seen every inch of our messy home and I laughed some more. And then I made dinner because that's life, baby, and that's my dirty laundry.




6 comments:
Your neighbor's jealous.
That was one of the most real and impressive things I have read in a long time. Thank you from my dirty house to yours.
And I have to add that going around turning lights on and off and 'inspecting' a house is just tacky.
Thank you for posting this. It made me feel so much better. Tiffany came over to my house yesterday and I about died. She walked in through my garage which goes right into the kitchen. I had not done dishes in DAYS! You could not see any counter top and there were toys, shoes and socks all over the floor. Seriously!?!? Nobody comes over when it is clean!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who never makes the beds. When my house is clean I seriously feel like putting out a bulletin for everyone to run over "for a limited time, you can see Cydnee's clean house while it lasts!" (which might be an hour if I'm lucky).
SO Funny!!! I am so glad to know I am not the only one that has a little clutter around the house, who makes their beds every day anyway? Your just going to mess them up again every night, right???
Post a Comment