Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oh the mistakes I have made...

You know how actors always respond to this question, "Do you have any regrets?" and they always say with their noses high up in the air, "No, because my mistakes have made me who I am blah blah blah." It really makes me want to scream because I've made mistakes and I have regrets!!!! So I've decided to tell you about some of them. The list could be quite lengthy (especially now that I'm raising children) and so I'll do my best to narrow it down to the mistakes I have made today. And it's 1:30 in the afternoon. Here we go...

1. What made me think that I would be okay wearing a shirt that doesn't go up to my ears today? Didn't I know that Abe would throw a fit whilst trying to pick Lilly up from school and said child would yank down said shirt and show what I like to call "the goods" to the passersby? Hello Susie Q and Lovely Ladies from my ward, this is the color bra I'm wearing today. Go buy turtlenecks. Check

2. What made me think that I shouldn't wear a belt so that when the afore mentioned child threw his pre fit fit and I struggled with him to get him in his carseat (wait, maybe he IS stronger than me) and his little feet kicked and pushed my pants down practically around my ankles I could have avoided that problem altogether. Thank goodness I was in my own driveway...this time.

3. Why didn't I shave my head long ago? Either I shave it now or Abe is going to slowly and painfully pull it all out anyway. Remember his tantrum at Lilly's school? He wanted to walk (another thing I should never have allowed...ever) but when I let him down he would stiffly fall to one side and not move. So I picked him up. Another mistake. His hands just went naturally to where they always go when he's angry-- my hair (or Lilly's, but I was closer) and he yanked my hair out of my carefully placed pony tail that I've had for the last 10 years.

4. What was I thinking when I actually encouraged these children to call me mommy? Once such a beautiful word that inspired daydreams of homemade bread and skipping through meadows holding my childrens' hands is now usually said accompanied by "I'm hungry even though you just made me dinner 15 minutes ago" and "Entertain me even though I have a million toys and my room is a disaster." I'm changing my name.

5. I must be off my rocker if I thought I could go grab a salad from Chipotle after picking Lilly up from school and get them some hamburgers and it would be no big deal. Oh the insanity of thinking I'd like to eat something other than a Lean Cuisine for lunch! All I have to say about this is thank goodness I got to Abe before he made it out into the street. That's all I'm saying.

6. Writing #5 is my most current mistake because just last night Kelly and I talked about how we eat out too much and really just need to eat the boring stuff at home. Oops! I thought you wanted to start that tomorrow.

So, if I am to learn and grow from my mistakes, then I guess I'm going to turn into a bald recluse who wears uber modest clothes (to the neck, wrists, and ankles is my new standard) named Tallulah. And don't even think of inviting me to go to Cafe Rio...Oh, that's just too harsh. I'll learn from my mistakes another time. Who wants to go to dinner?

6 comments:

Collette said...

I'm loving this post! I think I made some of those same mistakes as well! Thanks for keeping it real!

janelle said...

I'm up for Cafe Rio! AND I have 2 free meals....let's go! CALL ME SOON! (And how funny that Collette and I are on at the same time reading your blogpost that you just posted at the same time....I LOVE it!)

What is Up UPLAND?? said...

I like the name Tallulah, I think it fits you well:)

What is Up UPLAND?? said...

jmcewen is me rachel..i am on justin's laptop.

Katrina said...

Now that you know that I stalk your blog every once in awhile I decided to add you to my friends list and stalk you all the time :) I hope your day got better. Hopefully Abe took a long nap that afternoon. :)

My blog is private so if you would like to check it out email me so I can send you an invite. Katrinansmith@juno.com

Elizabeth Dover said...

Ah You crack me up. It is nice to know that I am not the only one in the world who thinks this way or has had the son that pulled my shirt to the point of embarrasement. Hey here is my e-mail and blog Elizabeth_hutson@hotmail.com http://haveireallyjoined.blogspot.com/