Friday, June 17, 2011

3 - 2 = 1



Two of my little monsters left me this week to enjoy the glories of California. My mom decided to take the two oldest back home with her after watching my kids while Kelly and I went to Utah last weekend. I agreed, excited for the break, but with an aching heart of having them away from me. When my mom told them they were going with her, the two kids' smiles grew twice as wide, Lilly said with delight, "without my mom?" and Abe ran upstairs, grabbed two suitcases and hauled them down the steps to begin packing. In fact, as I sat on the couch stunned that they couldn't care less that they were leaving their mother who has given them life and sacrificed a flat belly for them, they completely packed themselves. I didn't have to do a thing. Well, I thought, surely they'll miss me after they've been gone a day or two. I can assure you, though, as it has now been 5 days that they've been gone, that they indeed do not miss me and don't want to come home.




So tomorrow I have to bring them back to this land where there are no grandmas and grandpas watching their every move, buying them everything they want and who have a pool. There is no Grandy telling them the best goodnight stories with never ending hugs and kisses. No Tia Cari loading them up with junk food and taking them on adventures...and no cousins. But I, I will go and tear them away from what was probably the best week of their lives and bring them back to this brown nothingness. But I will not go alone for I shall be armed with bribes hoping that the long ride home does not include howls of sadness and despair, longing to return to California and it's open arms. And certainly the loudest cries may be from me as soon as my little loved ones start to whine and fight. I will be ready once again to send them on their way.




Wish me luck!



1 comment:

Cydnee said...

Tell Lilly she can have a playdate at our house next week. Don't tell me though if that bribe doesn't work as I might cry. ;)