Sunday, December 6, 2009

Oliver's Day

Today Oliver Finn was blessed by his father and friends during Sacrament meeting. My mom, dad, and Bertha all came to see the blessing and visit our family. Although Oliver had a fever and wasn't feeling well this past Friday and Saturday, he woke up this morning feeling fine and back to his old self.

Kelly gave a really beautiful blessing and if I could remember anything I wish I could remember to brush my teeth and also (maybe more importantly) I wish I could have remembered to bring a pen and paper to jot down some things that were said in the blessing. When Oliver was born Kelly and I felt such a spirit of peace and sweetness to him and the blessing just confirmed those impressions we felt during those sacred moments of him entering the world. I feel like he's bound for something great. I admit I feel that way about all of my kids but in different ways, each that match their own personalities. Oliver is calming. He's so good and patient. Kelly and I are so thankful to have him.
In other wards that I've been in they've had the mother of the baby stand up in recognition after the blessing. I've never really liked that and thought that if they had me stand up I'd take a bow or blow kisses and mouth the words "thank you, thank you" but alas, I was never called upon and didn't have the opportunity to be ridiculous. I wonder if I would have gone through with it. Now we'll never know but now you know what I was thinking about during the opening song. I know it's weird.

Another treat of the day was when Abe came over to Kelly during testimonies and told him that he wanted to go up there too. This is the day we've dreaded and I'm so thankful he went to Kelly instead of me! There's this fear that comes with your child telling you he's going to go bear his testimony. As much as you might want to, you probably shouldn't discourage them from doing it. We had no idea what he would say. Kelly would have to go up there too and inevitably bear his own testimony. Are they going to laugh? Will it be embarrassing? (The answer to that is obviously yes!) It was all we could do to keep him from marching up there right then and there. He's a very determined boy and once he sets his mind to something, we just kind of have to do damage control. We asked him what he was going to say and he said, "Thankful for the gospel. Thankful for mom and dad." Kelly and I looked at each other with a "hey, this might be okay" look and up they went. There was no fear, no trepidation in Abe's face. He went up to the pulpit, grabbed the microphone and so matter-of-factly said, "Thankful for gospel...thankful for gospel...thankful for gospel... (pause) Thankful for mom and dad. Thankful for this day. Thankful for the food" (he then asked a blessing on some food) and then closed the prayer, I mean testimony. It was a great moment. We're proud of him too.

Thank you to those who were with us today and thanks for the calls and all the support from family and friends.

hugs and kisses

3 comments:

Alisa said...

Luke told me about that. I wish I could have been there to see it. Our ward has the mother stand up and I just might blow some kisses. who knows. I hope you took lots of pictures today.

Dale said...

Just a thought/remembrance of the moment...

Prior to Abe asking his Dad for assistance, Abe was sitting between Bertha and I. During several testimonies, Abe often stopped what he was doing, turned his eyes directly to the speaker and "focused" on what was being said. After a few testimonies, Abe asked Bertha to take him up there. Of course, Bertha smiled and told him to ask his Dad.

No words needed to be overheard to understand what the conversation was between Kelly and Abe (another priceless moment).

At the podium, Abe took the microphone with both hands, looked at the audience, and spoke loudly and clearly.

When Abe got home, he put on his Batman costume and continued to act as though he IS a "courageous caped crusader."

It was a wonderful day of two "firsts."

Proud Grandpa

Cyd said...

I got to hear your boys testimonies but am sorry we missed Oliver's blessing. It may be another couple of weeks before we get to church on time! Those proud moments are the things that pull us through the more challenging spots--aren't they?